Friday, December 26, 2008

Insomnia

No, not the movie, the reality.

Scott and I turned our light out at 12:30am. I woke up the first time about 3. I drifted back off again until 4:30. I got out of bed at 5:22. I've been reading blogs and sale ads since then. Not sleeping is one of the worst side effects of fibromyalgia for me and the reason I've taken prescription sleep aid for 3.5 years. Once we found out we were pregnant, I stopped them cold turkey. For a while I slept well, because my body was so tired! Now though (and the last 3 months) I'm awake every night. My doc says I can take Tylenol PM 2-3 times per week (it's safe every night, but my body will adjust to it) so I do. Usually that helps me, but night before last, I couldn't even tell that I'd taken anything. Bummer. (Sorry that I use parentheses a lot, it's how my mind works.)

Scott's parents are in our guest room, and his sister and her family are in our back room. I'm in the living room. If none of them were there, I'd probably also have two dogs curled up at my feet, but I was afraid they (Zoe!) would get to excited and try to find the rest of the family! When closed doors are involved, she prefers to sit outside of them and cry. I didn't think that would be the family's preference, so they are still in the bedroom wtih Scott!

Christmas was great! I had been planning for last night's dinner since the start of November. That's when I made my menu and started my shopping, buying whatever was on sale that would still be good at Christmas or could freeze. I was really nervous about this meal quite frankly. Scott's mom would be here (you know, a son and his mom that cooks everything and cooks it well!) and I was nervous that something, or everything, would go wrong and I would end up on my bed sobbing. Well, maybe pride goeth before a fall, but everything turned out great! My menu: brown sugar glazed ham, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, green pea salad, cherry salad, and Hawaiian rolls! Everything came out hot and at the same time, which is more than I can say for a normal lunch some days. This morning's casserole might burn and I might end up on the bed sobbing, but for now, I will revel in the success of last night's meal. Oh, did I mention that I made it all? From scratch? (Well, except for the rolls, because really, nothing is as yummy as Hawaiian rolls!)

Scott might have hated that notebook I started writing in in early November, but he liked the dinner! I'm such a planner, but this proves that it worked! (I lost the notebook in our pit of a house a few times, sending me to tears and him to running around the house until the lost prize was found again!)

So many of you out in the blogosphere (not that many read this page, but I read lots of others!) I was thinking about you today/yesterday. To the ones that lost a child this year, to the ones that gained a child, to the one who has lost both parents at a young age but is such a strong woman, to the parents/grandparents whom I try to learn from, to the many many others that have influenced me with a simple post, thank you for what you do. Thank you for living your life (and blogging about it!), for sharing your lessons, and for just being awesome. God bless you all!

2 comments:

Ms. J said...

I am a lifelong bad sleeper. Ty.lenol PM won't touch my insomnia, LOL. Stress makes it worse. My dr. prescribed generic Am.bien before I went to China because of the 12 hr time difference. I've stayed on it since then. have thought about switching to the controlled release version since if I wake up to pee I find it hard to fall back asleep.

BTW I am a notorious planner, too. I am constantly making lists!

Wes and Summer said...

I feel you on the sleeping trouble. I wake up at least 4 times every night just because I can't roll over correctly. Autumn is sitting fairly high on my body so she's already poking out quite a bit. Rolling over requires grunting and breathing hard & at least 3 pillow adjustments... and by that time, I'm so awake that I have to start counting again. (I count backward from 300 to make myself fall asleep.)

Not to mention, Wes just bought new sheets.... flanel. Seriously?!?! Flanel for a pregnant woman?!?! As if I'm not already so hot that I fog up my side of the windows in the truck. lol