Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bedrest, etc.

11 days ago, my Braxton Hicks contractions went from 1 or 2 per day to about 40 on that day. I got put on bedrest for 3 days and just told to take it easy after that. I went back to work last week, made it 36 hours for the week. I had to leave early one day after having lots of contractions one afternoon and a doctor appointment another day.

Yesterday morning, I had a few (5 in 4 hours) so I decided to go to Albertson's for a while. We were out about an hour, and I had to come home and rest after that. It felt like I'd had one big contraction during that time, so I knew I needed to lie down. I behaved after that and everything was fine.

This morning, I got up and had 5 in an hour, which is when my doc said I need to go to the hospital to be monitored. I layed back down and they went away, so I tried not to work about it. I got up to take a shower so we could go to church. After I got out of my shower, I had 5 in 48 minutes, so instead of church we went to the hospital. I got hooked up to the monitor and answered about 328,384,780 questions. The nurse left for a while and Scott and I just chatted in our triage room for a while. She came back in and said Ok, we're going to put an IV in, pump in a liter of fluid, then give you some sedation. Have you ever had Demerol and phenergen?

It was at this point, I freaked out a little. I had being sedated (just plain scares me!), so I asked what was going on. She said that I was having "timable" contractions. Really having no choice, I said ok. She told Scott to go to Admissions to take care of some paperwork and insurance stuff. When he left, I called my mom. The nurse, Sharon, was really nice. Brought me a wet washcloth because I had cried a little, then she got me hooked up to the IV. After that ran a little while, she came in with the sedatives and put those in the line too. After about half of that, I was feeling a little loopy. Scott came back and I floated while we talked. They slowed down, so we were allowed to go home with intructions of strict bedrest today.

Fortunately, I don't have work tomorrow, so I'll be able to take it easy again. My doc was on call, and I was afraid that she was going to put me on full bedrest, so I was glad she didn't. If I get back up to 5 or more an hour, I'm supposed to go back to get monitored again.

It was pretty scary once she nurse told me that they were timeable. When she was administering the sedatives, I asked how close together they were, and she told me they had been running 5 minutes apart. I couldn't believe it, I must not have been feeling some of them!

That's my update. My hips hurt from lying on my sides for so long, but if it's what's best for baby Charlotte, that's what I'll do.

4 comments:

Wes and Summer said...

wow! So scary!! I'm glad to hear that you're able to stay home though. Praying for you girls.

Samantha said...

Take it easy, that baby needs to bake a little longer before she gets here! If you haven't got one already one of those big body pillows or pregnancy pillows really seems to help with the hip pain.

Ms. J said...

Agh, I am so sorry you've been going through all of this!!! You've been such a trooper.

Anything we can do out here in blogworld to help?!

Kim said...

Praying for you girls!