Monday, November 3, 2008

Funny Story

This weekend, we had a garage sale. We had an old couch, a desk, a desk chair, a washer and dryer set and a couple of living room tables plus lots of random items and clothes, and we decided that we really wanted to get rid of it all! So we've been planning it for a while, ran an ad in the newspaper. Friday afternoon, we had the garage door open and we were working on pricing and arranging all the stuff. A neighbor lady came by. I can't remember her name though. She's originally from Germany and her husband is into gardening and is in a gardening club. He gave us a bunch of flowers for our front yard this summer. Anyways, that's all I know. So Germany comes by and says, I saw your great ad in the paper! I've got just a few items that I've been wanting to get rid of, would you mind if I brought them over to sell in your garage sale? Sure, we say, no problem! Just price them and bring them by! So we finish up and go inside about 6pm, but we still haven't seen her again. I just figured that she'll come back over at 7am when we open again. Well, we didn't see her again, so I looked down the street and she's got her own garage sale going on!! Complete with signs and everything!! I was so mad!! It was $25 to run the ad in the paper and she's getting all of our foot traffic!!! Scott just laughed at me, but I was upset. She had people constantly in her driveway and we'd have no one!! Also, we saw at least one person use our driveway to turn around in to go back to her house!!

So I'm checking the mail when I got home today, and this guy walks up and asks how our garage sale went. We'd not met, but it turns out that he lives on the other side of Germany. Nice guy. I told him that we sold our big stuff, and that was the point of the sale so it was successful. He asked how I liked our neighbor lady and her garage sale too. I said it was weird since she didn't have one planned originally!! He laughed and said that her and a few other old ladies on the street wait until someone else on the street is having one then they have one too!! I couldn't believe it! I thanked him for telling me that, then I didn't feel so bad. It's not just me, she does it to everyone! Now I can laugh but not on Saturday!

The sale was fine though, we moved our big items and made a little extra cash. That's good since we just picked up our baby furniture! Our bedding should arrive today or tomorrow, then we'll pick paint colors and get started on the nursery. Green walls, pink and green bedding, cherry furniture. I'll post pics as we get going!