Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Blood:Water Mission

Last night I went to a Sara Groves concert with special guest Donald Miller. It was benefitting the Blood:Water Mission, "a grassroots movement founded by the members of the band Jars of Clay to personally and creatively empower African communities to provide clean blood and clean water projects." (From the flyer at my church) It was called the Ride:Well Concert with a group that is riding across America. They left the west coast June 9 and arrived in Tyler, TX yesterday. They are ending in about 3.5 weeks in South Carolina, I think. Sara Groves was really good, and Donald Miller did a great job. They both captured the hearts and checkbooks of Tyler people. The goal was $40,000, which is enough to build 10 wells in Sub Saharan Africa. The total we heard, and they were still counting, was over $72,000! That's 17.5 wells! I was so incredibly surprised, but very excited. That's awesome!! And this morning, I got on facebook and found out that I know one of the riders! There were probably 20 or so, and I know one! I went to high school with him in MS, and I'm not at all surprised that he's participating in the ride. Good luck, Matt W!!

I've been busy lately, and I don't see that slowing down anytime soon! VBS was a few weeks ago at the church, then I got 45 youth off on a mission trip to MS. The next week was our Mission Week for our church. Our church as well as 2 other Methodist churches sponsor Mission Week every summer, and hundreds of people participate across Tyler. I think like 5-6 hundred! I worked with one of the youth projects and learned how to roof a house! I nailed shingles 7a-noon 2 days last week! It's really hot, hard work, but I felt really good when it was all said and done. Those kids are amazing, and I love being around their youth, excitement and (most of the time) attitudes. They are a blessing to my life, and I'm lucky to know them.

This past weekend, Scott and I traveled to Stillwater, OK for a friend's wedding. I was a little worried since I only knew like one other person at the wedding (the groom is Scott's friend), but it was really fun! The bride looked stunning, like she just stepped out of a bridal magazine! And the whole time could be described as casual shabby chic. Really fun weekend overall too. We got to hang out with friends and just sit around, chat, and play the wii on Saturday afternoon.

That's about it for now! Scott's sister and brother in law are coming to visit for the weekend. We're going to go see fireworks on Friday night, but no other plans besides that! It should be fun!!

*Update, He's not a rider, he works for Blood:Water Mission. Still cool!

No comments: